Tempe events this week – Amy Tan at the TCA
Posted on: October 14, 2013
Two of my all-time favorite novels are The Joy Luck Club and the The Kitchen God’s Wife by Amy Tan. I was reminded how much I enjoyed both books when I learned that Ms. Tan is coming to the Tempe Center for the Arts as an ASU Distinguished Visiting Writer this Thursday. I was also reminded that it’s time for me to read more Amy Tan.
Ms. Tan is a tremendous story teller whose books are hard to put down. Her works delve into mother-daughter relationships, Chinese culture and the clashes that arise when parents’ expectations clash with their children’s desires to realize their own dreams. She writes about the complexities, tragedies and joys experienced by her multicultural characters.
She has won numerous awards, including Academy of Achievement Golden Plate Award, the Bay Area Book Reviewers Award and the Commonwealth Gold Award. She was a finalist for the National Book Award, the National Book Critics Circle Award, the Los Angeles Times Fiction Prize and the Orange Prize.
Amy Tan will be speaking at the Tempe Center for the Arts at 7 p.m. on Thursday, October 17. Free tickets will be distributed at the door. For more information, visit http://www.tempe.gov/tca.
There are many more exciting events taking place in Tempe this week. View a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158.
- October 14: Twiztid, Marquee Theatre
- October 15: Performance with a View: Stu Siefer Trio, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 15: Open Jam, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- October 15: Beth Lederman & Sherry Roberson, Mad Hatter Brew Pub
- October 16: America’s Music: Blues and Gospel Music: A Film History of our Popular Music from Blues to Bluegrass to Broadway, ASU Hayden Library
- October 16: Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 17: Amy Tan, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 17- 20: Pauly Shore, Tempe Improv
- October 17- 20: The Great Pumpkin Festival, Desert Botanical Garden
- October 18: Bad Cactus Band, Desert Botanical Garden
- October 18: Tempe Comedy Concert Series: Ken Kaz, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 18: Finally Friday: Tom & Priscilla Bertling, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 18: Lane Change; October 19: Ratio, Funk, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- October 18: Scott & John of Hello Swindon; October 19: West Hills Brothers, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- October 18: Nineball; October 19: BFS, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- October 18: Sleeping with Sirens; October 19: A Perfect Tool, Marquee Theatre
- October 18-19: EPIK Dance Company’s Common Ground, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 18-20: A Brief Anniversary of Time, ASU Marston Exploration Theater
- October 19: Jeremy Reynolds, ASU Katzin Concert Hall
- October 19: Tetra String Quartet: Halloween Spooktacular!, ASU Katzin Concert Hall
Free Visitor's Guide
Plan your next vacation with the Tempe Visitor's Guide.