Tempe events this week – Tempe Tardeada Festival
Posted on: September 30, 2013
Tempe Tardeada Festival, October 6, 2013
The first settlers to move to the Tempe area, south of the Salt River and east of Phoenix, were Hispanic families from southern Arizona. In 1872, some of these Mexican settlers founded a town called San Pablo east of Tempe Butte community. Each year Tempe celebrates the historical significance of Hispanics within our community with the Tempe Tardeada Festival.
A tardeada is a social dance that is traditionally held on Sunday afternoons. The Tempe Tardeada Festival is the culmination of Hispanic Heritage Month. The Festival will take place this Sunday, noon-8 pm. at the Tempe Cultural Complex. It will feature many free activities, including music, dancing, arts and crafts, face painting and inflatables, The Game Truck and the Tempe History Museum’s Family Albums exhibit. In addition, vendors sell delicious foods at family-friendly prices. So pack up family and enjoy this fun Tempe tradition. It’s a great way to spend an October Sunday afternoon.
This week’s calendar is packed with a terrific variety of arts and culture events. View a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158.
- October 1: Open Jam, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- October 1: ASU Wind Bands, ASU Gammage
- October 2: ASU Symphony Orchestra, ASU Gammage
- October 3: Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 3: Shaun Latham, Tempe Improv
- October 3: The Maine & Anberlin; October 4: Frightened Rabbit, Marquee Theatre
- October 3-5: Stray Cat Theatre Presents: The Flick, Tempe Performing Arts Center
- October 3-6: ASU Lyric Opera Theatre Presents La Périchole, ASU Evelyn Smith Music Hall
- October 4: Music in the Garden: Run Boy Run, Desert Botanical Garden
- October 4: Finally Friday: Justin Olsen, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 4: Tempe Comedy Concert Series: Elijah Tindall, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 4: Tempe Comedy Concert Series: Funny Times 10, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 4: International Guild of Realism (IGOR) VIP Sneak Peek Reception, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 4: Roland Dyens, Guitar, ASU Katzin Concert Hall
- October 4-5: Kevin Nealon, Tempe Improv
- October 4: Wes & Nick; October 5: Jeordie & The Mixology Project, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- October 4: Tony Putrino; October 5: Grady Soiné, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- October 4: RIG; October 5: The Sullivans, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- October 5: Susan Marshall & Company: PLAY/PAUSE, ASU Gammage
- October 5: Bully Mammoth, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 5: Linda Ronstadt: Simple Dreams, Changing Hands Bookstore
- October 5- 6: Childsplay Presents: Robin Hood, Tempe Center for the Arts
- October 6: Tempe Tardeada Festival, Tempe Community Complex
- October 6: Hank 3, Marquee Theatre
Free Visitor's Guide
Plan your next vacation with the Tempe Visitor's Guide.