Posted by: Nancy
July 8, 2013
Is your family experiencing a case of the summer malaise? Do they appear to be tired, listless and lacking energy? Is everyone becoming bitter and hard after weeks of hot, heaping hunks of heat? Take heart. This Saturday, The ASU Art Museum and the Tempe Center for the Arts are offering two fun and free summer malaise busters that will get your creative juices flowing again.
The ASU Art Museum will host its annual Family Fun Day, July 13, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. It’s a giant art party that celebrates the summer exhibition. This year’s show is titled Zoomorphic and features art that’s a clever blend of animal forms and human ideas. At Family Fun Day, you can explore animal images in the hands-on stations in the exhibition spaces, and participate in art activities for kids and their families, performances, balloon artists, pizza, some surprise visitors and more.
Tempe Center for the Arts‘ Walk-in Family Art Workshop will also have an animal theme. On July 13, noon-2 p.m., artist Barbara Burton will show participants of all ages how to create large animal-inspired stick puppets with colorful shapes and moving parts. Burton will show examples of her artwork that are largely dedicated to her love for animals, such as dogs, birds and rabbits.
The workshops are free and don’t require any advance notice, reservations or R.S.V.P., so plan on attending both.
Any of these great events taking place in Tempe this week are sure to cure a case of the summer doldrums. View a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158 for more information.
- July 9: Flips and Beaners with Edwin San Juan, Tempe Improv
- July 9: Open Jam; July 11: Ronnie Winters, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- July 12: Finally Friday; Class Clowns Comedy, Tempe Center for the Arts
- July 12: The Biffos; July 13: Sea Merchants, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- July 12: Shawn Johnson & The Foundation; July 13: Ratio, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- July 12: Brooke Stratton; July 13: M Squared, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- July 12: Stephanie King; July 13: Honey Girl, Top of the Rock
- July 12-14: Tommy Davidson, Tempe Improv
- July 13 Family Fun Day, ASU Art Museum
- July 13: Walk-in Family Art Workshop: Barbara Burton, Animal Stick Puppets, Tempe Center for the Arts
- July 13: West Coast Fest featuring Bone Thug n’ Harmony, Marquee Theater
- July 13: The Top Cats, Blues, Lucille’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que
- July 13: Winged Hope Family Advocacy Foundation: Gorilla Featurette Screening, Tempe Center for the Arts
- July 13: Blaine Long CD Release: Prairie Sun, Tempe Center for the Arts
- July 14: Glamour Academia de Moda Fashion Show, Tempe Center for the Arts
- July 14: Ronnie Winters, Rula Bula Irish Pub