Posted by: Nancy
May 6, 2013
I love jellyfish, those tentacled, transparent, luminous, undulating sea critters that live in oceans and big public aquariums far from Arizona. I always figured that, unless I happen to encounter one while vacationing by the sea or visiting one of the big aquariums that have jelly fish exhibits, my chances of actually seeing just one jelly fish were pretty remote. Living here in the middle of the desert, I thought it was highly unlikely that I would ever see several varieties of this strange, fanciful sea life. So, imagine how excited I was to hear that this Friday, May 10, SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium is opening Jelly Fish Discovery, featuring the largest collection of jelly fish in Arizona.
Jelly fish are beautiful and fascinating, but let’s face it, for whatever reason, they are not given the kinds of attention and notoriety that other sea creatures like, say dolphins, sharks and sting rays receive. However, thanks to SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium, we can now see some of the many beautiful varieties and learn more about their mysterious lives. Questions such as, “what is a jelly fish?,” what do they eat?,” “what’s up with all those tentacles?,” and many more will be answered.
SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium is located at Arizona Mills and is open Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. On Friday, May 10, it will be open 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
There are many more great events taking place in Tempe this week. See below for more and view a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158 for more information.
- May 6: Mushroomhead; May 7: Rehab, Marquee Theater
- May 7: Open Jam, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- May 7: Beth Lederman, Trish Hatley and Dwight Kilian, Mad Hatter Brew Pub
- May 7-8: Ralphie May, Tempe Improv
- May 8: Cassadee Pope, Tempe Marketplace District Plaza
- May 8: Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night, Tempe Center for the Arts
- May 9: Jeff Sulivan, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- May 9: Music on Mill, Mill Avenue District
- May 9: Outliars Comedy Club, Robby Fox’s Public HouseMay 9: Bryce Ricci; May 10-12: Maz Jobrani, Tempe Improv
- May 10: Suicidal Tendencies, Marquee Theater
- May 10: Jellyfish Discovery Opens, SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium
- May 10: Music in the Garden: Fuerza Caribe, Latin Salsa and Bachata Desert Botanical Garden
- May 10: Lakeshore Jazz Series: Terell Stafford Quintet featuring “This Side of Strayhorn,” Tempe Center for the Arts
- May 10: Pete Pancrazi; May 11: Tony Putrino, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- May 10: Sea Merchants; May 11: Keltic Cowboys, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- May 10: Paul Ludenia; May 11: Bill Dutcher, Top of the Rock
- May 11: Tequilazona, Tempe Marketplace District Plaza
- May 11: Stu Siefert Combo, Robbie Fox’s Public House
- May 11-26: Childsplay Presents: A Wrinkle in Time, Tempe Center for the Arts