Tempe events this week – WAR HORSE gallops into ASU Gammage
Posted on: February 4, 2013
War Horse Photo Credit: Brinkhoff/Mogenburg
This is a great week for entertainment in Tempe, starting with WAR HORSE at ASU Gammage, February 5-10. Many of us are familiar with the story, thanks to Steven Spielberg’s 2011 movie adaptation of the children’s book by British author Michael Morpurgo. It was a big box office hit and was nominated for a bunch of Academy Awards.
The story follows young Albert and his beloved horse Joey through many trials and triumphs serving in World War One. Horses played a major role in The War to End all Wars and Joey actually ends up serving with both the British and German troops. The novel and the movie were wonderful; however, the musical embellishes the story futher with stirring music and the astonishing life-sized puppets that bring to life breathing, galloping, charging horses strong enough for men to ride.
WAR HORSE is one of many great arts, culture and entertainment events going on this week in Tempe. Other options include the ASU Art Museum Spring Season Opening Reception, Morrissey at the Marquee Theater, and at the Tempe Center for the Arts: The Hits @TCA: The Piano Man, Sherri Shepherd and Eddie Daniels and Roger Kellaway. So many choices! View a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158 for more information.
- February 5: Michael Powers Trio, Mad Hatter Brew Pub
- February 5: Open Jam, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- February 5-10: WAR HORSE, ASU Gammage
- February 6: Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night, Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 6: David Bernstein; February 7: Colin Barley, Studio Vino
- February 7: Music on Mill, Mill Avenue District
- February 7: Tim Hawley, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- February 7-9: ASU Mainstage Presents Fatboy by John Clancy, Lyceum Theater
- February 8: The Hits @TCA: The Piano Man; Bully Mammoth, Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 8: ASU Art Museum Spring Season Opening Reception, ASU Art Museum/Ceramic Research Center
- February 8: Brick Top Blaggers; February 9: Traveler, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- February 8: Carol Pacey & the Honey Shakers; February 9: Kenny Love and the Rockerfellers, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- February 8: Lawrence Zubia; February 9: Scott & John of Hello Swindon, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- February 8: Imagine Dragons – Night Visions Tour; February 9: Rescue The Future CD Release Show, Marquee Theater
- February 9: Sherri Shepherd: It’s My Time to Talk; Lakeshore Jazz Presents Eddie Daniels & Roger Kellaway, Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 9: Stu Siefert Combo, Robbie Fox’s Public House
- February 9-10: Tempe Marketplace Arts & Crafts Festival, Tempe Marketplace
- February 9-March 3: Childsplay Presents: Click, Clack, Moo: Cows that Type,Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 10: Morrissey, Marquee Theater
- February 10: Sonoran Chamber Music Series: Ridge Trio, Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 10: Music in the Garden: The Swingtips, Desert Botanical Garden
Free Visitor's Guide
Plan your next vacation with the Tempe Visitor's Guide.