Tempe Events This Week – 12th Annual Ceramic Studio Tour
Posted on: February 19, 2013
This week’s hefty roster of arts and cultural events culminates with the 12th Annual Self-Guided Ceramic Studio Tour, February 23-24. The tour presents the work of dozens of professional ceramic artists in the Phoenix metropolitan area, including several in Tempe. It’s a great opportunity to view working and living spaces of participating artists. Even better, you get to actually watch many of them demonstrating different aspects of creating in clay, including wheel-throwing, hand-building and glazing techniques. Be sure to take your check book and plastic because many of the artists will have pieces of their work for sale. I’ve taken this tour several times and I always find something beautiful to take home.
Start your tour at the ASU Ceramic Research Center where you can see the current exhibition Born of Fire: The Pottery of Margaret Tafoy, AND Re: Generation: A Survey of Margaret Tafoya’s Descendants a stunning survey of ceramics by Margaret Tafoya and her descendants. This exhibition of pueblo pottery provides a unique overview of one of the most accomplished potters from the 20th century. Margaret Tafoya was one of the pioneering Pueblo artists who sustained the ceramic tradition of her ancestors by transforming it from a process for making functional vessels to an art form.
As you can see, there’s a lot going on all week. Check out this list and view a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158 for more information.
- February 19: Dave Henning Trio with John Willis, Bass and Denise Martin, Vocals, Mad Hatter Brew Pub
- February 19: Open Jam, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- February 20: Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night , Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 20: ASU Barrett, Honors College: John J. Rhodes Lecture: Warp Speed: How Technology is Accelerating and the Importance of Science, Technology Engineering and Math, Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 20: David Bernstein; February 21: Colin Barley, Studio Vino
- February 21: The Arts and Sciences of Going Green, Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 21: Third Thursday on Mill: Geeks’ Night Out, 6th Street Park
- February 21: Tim Hawley, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- February 21-March 3: Stray Cat Theatre Presents: Sons of the Prophet, Tempe Performing Arts Center
- February 22: Class Clowns Comedy, Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 22: Sea Merchants; February 23: Love Brokers, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- February 22: Mojo Farmers; February 23: Knee Deep Experience, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- February 22: Grady Soiné; February 23: Blues Legend Hans Olson, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- February 22: Katastro; February 23: Victor Wooten; February 24: Take Action Tour 2013
- Featuring The Used, Marquee Theater
- February 23: ASU School of Music Guitar Series: Scott Tennant, Katzin Concert Hall
- February 23: Lakeshore Jazz Series: Billy Childs Ensemble, Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 23: Stu Siefert Combo, Robbie Fox’s Public House
- February 23-24: ASU Ceramic Research Center Ceramic Studio Tour, ASU Art Museum/Ceramic Research Center
- February 23-March 3: Childsplay Presents: Click, Clack, Moo: Cows that Type; Tempe Center for the Arts
- February 24: Estun-bah, Desert Botanical Garden
- February 24: Sonoran Chamber Music Series: Proust Inspirations, February 25: Tempe Symphonic Wind Ensemble: Latin Fantasies, Tempe Center for the Arts
Free Visitor's Guide
Plan your next vacation with the Tempe Visitor's Guide.