Posted by: Olivia
February 7, 2013
Valentine’s Day is around the corner. Although you might have that very special someone you want to celebrate with, you might not always know where to go or what to do. I am going to point out a few fun and unique ideas to consider for celebrating around Valentine’s Day. There’s something for everyone in Tempe including, couples, singles, and others who are against it and want to poke fun at the ♥ holiday.
Sweetheart Car Show
When: 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10
Where: Chapman Chevrolet, 1717 E. Baseline Road, Tempe.
Admission: $30 to register in advance, $35 on day of show. Free for spectators.
Details: 602-329-9313, vette.org.
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, Corvette lovers have an opportunity to admire several generations of the all-American sports car along with other Chevy-powered “sweethearts” at this weekend’s 20th annual Sweetheart Car Show that will display over 150 vehicles.
‘I Hate Valentine’s Day’
When: 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 14
Where: Changing Hands Bookstore, 6428 S. McClintock Drive, Tempe
Details: Free. 480-730-0205, changinghands.com.
If you’re tired of the commercialism around buying flowers that die and candy that goes straight to the hips, then join this celebration of singledom. Even if you’re in a relationship, you still can poke fun at all the single saps around you at this comedy improv show.
Valentine’s Day- Ticket to Ride Party
When: 8:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 14
Where: Canteen Modern Tequila Bar, 640 S Mill Ave #110 Tempe.
Details: 480-773-7135, www.canteentequilabar.com
Are you single and ready to mingle? Canteen brings the hottest singles together for a night of tickets, drinks, amour & more! Every regular-priced drink you buy gets you a ticket to give to your crush(es) of the night!
Romance in the Garden
When: 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 16
Where: Desert Botanical Garden, 1201 N. Galvin Parkway, Phoenix.
Admission: $35, $30 for members; $35 for dinner.
Details: 480-481-8188, dbg.org.
Celebrate with a candlelit concert under starry skies featuring flamenco legend Chris Burton Jácome and his Flamenco Ensemble. Wine and champagne are available at a cash bar. Dinner can be added, including appetizers, entrees and desserts (concert ticket required). For age 21 and older with ID. Dinner tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Grab a delicious dessert- A mouth full of Macaroon’s at Essence Bakery. These melt in your mouth, almond tasting cookies are light, a bit chewy, and have a cream or chocolate center. Small enough to not feel guilty but tasty enough to want to try one of each flavor.
Details: 825 W. University Drive, Tempe. 480-966-2745
- Adventure with a sunset- Grab your bike, or rent one for $20 for 4 hours at The Bicycle Cellar, and ride along Tempe Town Lake to enjoy the fresh weather, and beautiful sunsets around the water. Don’t forget your camera to capture a few shots. Also, if you get down to the lake before 5 p.m.- Check out the Tempe Center for the Arts FREE art Gallery: Green Revolution.
- Picnic in Papago- There are great picnic areas and fun, easy trails to enjoy in this area. Fill up your picnic baskets and check out this unique area with ordinary rock formations and great sunset views at Hole-In-The-Rock.
- Dine with a view -From five to seven, seven days a week, enjoy $5-$10 appetizers and $4-$6 drinks at Top of The Rock. Great deals for great atmosphere and breathtaking views of Phoenix city lights.
Details: 2000 Westcourt Way, Tempe, AZ 85282. 602-431-2370
- Get Artsy- There’s no better time to get creative and fun with a loved one. Check out Utrecht art supply for great paints and canvas’s. If you are on a budget, Home Depot has a free scrap section in the wood department that makes great use to paint on. If you don’t want to buy all the supplies on your own: As You Wish at Tempe Marketplace has everything you need for painting, art, and fun.