Tempe This Week – Tempe Fantasy of Lights Boat Parade
Posted on: December 2, 2012
If the holiday spirit hasn’t seized you yet, this week Tempe offers plenty of events that will help you toward attaining some degree of holiday bliss. One of my favorites, the Tempe Fantasy of Lights Boat Parade takes place this Saturday, December 8 at Tempe Town Lake. Companies, organizations, families and individuals float down Tempe Town lake in boats all decked out in a dazzling array of colored lights. You’ll see everything from great big boats to little single seat kayaks, all looking so fancy and festive. I’m always impressed at how creative people are when it comes to decorating their boats. The boats float along at a leisurely pace, allowing everyone plenty of time to take it all in. Then, after the boat parade comes to an end, the sky lights up with a beautiful fireworks show. I love it!
The festivities start at 5 p.m. with pre-parade entertainment, Santa Claus arrives at Tempe Beach Park at 6 p.m. and the boat parade begins at 7 p.m. You won’t find anything else like it in our area and it’s a wonderful way to spend a beautiful balmy December evening.
The boat parade is just one of a many terrific events that will help put you in the holiday mood. View a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158 for more information.
- December 4: Open Jam, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- December 4: Stan Sorenson & Jack Peterson, Mad Hatter Brew Pub
- December 5: The Forgotten Carols, ASU Gammage
- December 5: Krystal Clarke; December 6: Colin Barley, Studio Vino
- December 6: Jeff Sullivan Band; December 7: Shawn Johnson; December 8: Capital Down, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- December 6-15: Stray Cat Theatre Presents the World Premiere of Wolves, Tempe Performing Arts Center
- December 7: The Hits @TCA: Le Grandi Voci – The Three International Tenors, Tempe Center for the Arts
- December 7: Colton Avery Band; December 8: Mindy Harris Band, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- December 7: Scott & John of Hello Swindon; December 8: Tony Putrino, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- December 7: Zion I; December 8: Megadeth, Marquee Theater
- December 7: A Night at the North Pole: Christmas with the Bad Cactus Brass Band, Tempe History Museum
- December 7- 9, 14-23, 26, 27-30: Las Noches de las Luminarias, Desert Botanical Garden
- December 8: Tempe Fantasy of Lights Boat Parade, Tempe Town Lake
- December 8: Warren Miller’s Flow State; December 9: A Holiday Concert, ASU Gammage
- December 8-9: Organ Series: 10th Annual Organ Christmas Concert, ASU Organ Hall
- December 8-16: Danish Christmas in Tempe, Petersen House Museum
- December 8-23: Childsplay Presents Junie B. in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells!, Tempe Center for the Arts
- December 9: Bloc Party, Marquee Theater
- December 9: Jake Greider, Rula Bula Irish Pub
Free Visitor's Guide
Plan your next vacation with the Tempe Visitor's Guide.