Posted by: Nancy
December 21, 2012
Here we are at the end of 2012. Didn’t this year just fly by? I always feel a little a mix of melancholy and anticipation as we transition from the old to new year. The melancholy will fade away quickly enough, thanks to a number of fun diversions and celebrations taking place in Tempe, December 26 through New Year’s Eve.
Mill Avenue is one place known for hosting a great Year’s Eve bash and will do it again, only a bit differently from years past. For the first time in many years, there will be no gates around Mill Avenue, no admission fee and no street closures around downtown Tempe on December 31. Area restaurants and nightclubs will be offering entertainment and extended premises for the night. Starting at 6 p.m and continuing until 2 a.m., Mill Avenue’s bars and clubs will be offering a variety of 21+ celebratory options through the night including live entertainment, DJs and extended party areas. Bars and clubs will have their own cover charges that evening. Two fireworks shows will light up the night at 9 p.m. and midnight.
This party will feature a bunch of fun activities for families during the early part of the evening. A Family Fun Zone, sponsored by Chevrolet, will bring family fun to the streets with Radio Disney’s Rockin’ Road Show. Emcees, DJs and music will captivate audiences with music, dancing and interactive games from 6-9 p.m. on a stage on Seventh Street, west of Mill Avenue. Game trucks, laser tag and bounce houses will also be on site for added fun.
When the clock strikes 9:30 p.m., the stage will transition to showcase live music from local dance-pop duo S.O.S. At 11 p.m., Bluegrass/Americana/Folk-pop group Jared & The Mill will perform through the countdown to 2013 at midnight.
There are more fun events and New Year’s Eve celebrations taking place throughout the city. Here’s a sample. View a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158 for more information.
- December 26: Krystal Clarke; December 27: Colin Barley, Studio Vino
- December 26, 27-30: Las Noches de las Luminarias, Desert Botanical Gardens
- December 27: Tim Hawley; December 28: The Sullivans; December 29: Jeff Hunt Band, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- December 28: Los Guys featuring Mark Zubia; December 29: Knee Deep Experience, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- December 28: Tempe Final Friday Art Walk, Mill Avenue District
- December 28: Jeordie; December 29: Leah & Stephanie, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- December 29: Queensryche, Marquee Theater
- December 30: Jake Greider; December 31; The Sullivans, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- December 31: New Year’s Eve Pub Crawl Featuring the Laura Walsh Band, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- December 31: New Year’s Eve on Mill Avenue, Mill Avenue District