Posted by: Nancy
November 5, 2012
We can thank Arizona State University (ASU) for illuminating us on any number of subjects by way of the many renowned speakers it brings to Tempe. This week we can thank ASU twice for bringing Michael Ondaatje and Hamilton Sterling to us. Both events are free and open to the public.
Sterling Hamilton is an ASU School of Music alumnus (class of 1980). He is a sound effects editor and designer for major motion pictures. He’ll join Kwang-Wu Kim, Dean and Director of the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, November 8, 5-6 p.m. at ASU’s Katzin Concert Hall in an intimate conversation that will explore Sterling’s experiences working in Hollywood, his transition from trained musician to cinematic sound designer, and the process of creating soundscapes for film. He has worked on seventy-four feature films, including Best in Show, The Dark Knight, The Tree of Life and There Will Be Blood.
Then hustle on over to the Tempe Center for the Arts to hear Michael Ondaatje, who will be speaking at 7 p.m. Ondaatje is a Sri Lankan-born Canadian novelist and one of the world’s foremost writers. Although he is best known as a novelist, Ondaatje’s work also encompasses poetry, memoir and film. His best-selling novel The English Patient was made into an Academy Award-winning film. Publisher’s Weekly proclaimed his 2011 novel, The Cat’s Table, “best novel since The English Patient. He is in Tempe as part of the ASU Virginia G. Piper School of Creative Writing’s Distinguished Author Series.
Those are just two of the outstanding arts, culture and entertainment events you can enjoy in Tempe this week. View a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158 for more information.
- November 5: Tempe Symphonic Wind Ensemble: “A Salute to Those Who Serve,” Tempe Center for the Arts
- November 6: Open Jam, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- November 6: Michael Powers Group, Mad Hatter Brew Pub
- November 7: Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night, Tempe Center for the Arts
- November 7: All American Rejects; November 8: Minus The Bear, Marquee Theater
- November 7: Krystal Clarke, Guitar and Vocals; November 8: Colin Barley, Studio Vino
- November 8: Jeff Sullivan, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- November 8: ASU Distinguished Visiting Writer Michael Ondaatje, Tempe Center for the Arts
- November 8: Creative Conversations with Alumni featuring Hamilton Sterling, ASU Lyceum Theater
- November 9: Tempe Comedy Series: “Best of the West,” Tempe Center for the Arts
- November 9: Shining Star; November 10: Resonation, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- November 9: Laura Walsh Band; November 10: Ratio, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- November 9: Jess Hawk Oakenstar; November 10: Blues Legend Hans Olson, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- November 10: Project Dance Phoenix, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- November 10: Wonder 9 Featuring Owsla Tour with Jack Beats; November 11: Rusko, Marquee Theater
- November 10- 11: Childsplay Presents The Giver, Tempe Center for the Arts
- November 11: Tempe Camera Workshop with Canon Explorer of Light, Norman McGrath, Tempe Center for the Arts
- November 11: Jake Greider, Rula Bula Irish Pub